Monday, December 15, 2008

God Isn't Finished With Me Yet

Could it be that growing older, we are more outspoken or is it just the generation gap that has been between us and our children all along is more obvious.

I hear my children saying to me the same things my mother and I discussed 25 years ago.
"Mother, we are capable of living our lives without interference."
"Mom, you say things that sound like you are preaching to us without directing the message to us."

Today, I had lunch with a lady who is near the ages of my children. She has an eighteen year old son, Brandon. As she and I visited, we talked about many things but mostly about our relationship with Jesus. We marvelled at how God, in His infinite wisdom, pulled me from East Texas, Dee from Central Texas, put us in the same restaurant in Victoria, Texas. Provided someone who knew both of us, so an introduction was easy.

Little did we know at that time, that we both had the same cell phone provider, and because my son got my phone on his plan, Dee has a land line that is in the same town as my son. Either way we can talk and it doesn't cost for long distance calls.

Prior to our meeting, she had prayed for God to put a lady in her life who would mentor her in the things of God. I had prayed to be useful in my "mature" years. We serve an awesome, wonderful Jesus. He cares about every thing that concerns us.

Another younger lady, recently said to me, "What I wouldn't give to have grown up with a mother who speaks God's Word, and is never ashamed to pray in the grocery store or in Wal Mart." I will not refer to her name because she lives in my town. She was not a 'bad' mother. She just kept, work, home and church in separate places.

Jesus is a part of my life, I live and breathe because of him.

Why? I once was lost in sin, I needed a Savior. He came into my heart and life almost 62 years ago. He has been my constant companion since that time. I'm not perfect. Neither am I a hippocrit. I was born with a willful, sin nature. God is still working on me. He hasn't finished with me yet. As the song says, "... it took Him just a week to make the moon and stars, the Sun and Earth and Jupiter and Mars, but He's still working on me..." Some day, I will stand in Him completely cleansed by the blood of Jesus. Until then, my children will just have to pray for me. Some day, I will not be misunderstood, I will no longer say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Often, I wish I were perfect. About as quickly as that thought flows through my mind, I remember the one man on this earth who was perfect, they crucified Him.

No comments:

About Me

I am etched in the palm of the hand of the God of this universe. "The joy of the Lord is my strength." My father owns all the cattle on a thousand hills. He made the sun, the moon, the stars and the entire universe just for me. He sent His only perfect son to the earth to die so that I could become His daughter. I really am special. This day, I choose to serve Him with my whole heart.